SpamAssassin upgrade question...

Richard Siddall richard.siddall at ELIRION.NET
Wed Oct 29 19:46:57 GMT 2003

Mike Kercher wrote:
> As I understand it, the problem with doing RPM installs of SpamAssassin is
> the inconsistency of file locations among RPM friendly OS's.  Where Redhat
> might expect to find something may not be true on a SuSE box.  Installing
> from the tarball gets rid of this potential problem.  I don't upgrade via
> CPAN because I don't want my perl installation upgraded by accident if I
> have to walk away.
>
> Mike

Yes, you really need to use an RPM that's been built for your system.
Remco's approach of building an RPM from an SRPM gets around this
problem.  (It's the same technique Julian uses for all the required Perl
modules in the version of MailScanner for RPM-based systems.)

If CPAN attempts to upgrade your Perl installation, you need a newer
version of CPAN.  (CPAN should tell you how to upgrade it when you start
it.)

Regards,

        Richard.