Questions about PC Requirements

Peter Peters P.G.M.Peters at utwente.nl
Tue Oct 28 07:42:52 GMT 2003

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 19:39:05 -0300, you wrote:

>Maybe with 3 boxes running a similar configuration we'll be fine, right?
>It's a little expensive, but the only solution if we want to use
>MailScanner+AV to analyze such huge traffic.

I would definitly go for more than one box. With that number of messages
you won't want any downtime. So probably three would be even better
because you still need to stop one of them occacionally for upgrading.

We are running three identical server (with one off-site). We are doing
only 150k - 200k messages a day (in total) on three dual Xeon 2.4GHz
with 2GB memory. The systems also do DNS, DHCP and radius and the
average load (over one week) is 0.6.

Actually at this moment one of the systems is a single Celeron 1.3GHz
with 1GB memory. Average load of this system is 1.32 but when I check
the number of messages this system handles it is about 10% lower than
the other systems. This system occacionally stops accepting messages
because of the load. But I am configuring that third dual Xeon and I
hope to install it this week.

--
Peter Peters, senior netwerkbeheerder
Dienst Informatietechnologie, Bibliotheek en Educatie (ITBE)