mailscanner-mrtg - no graphics?

Jason Burzenski jburzenski at AMERICANHM.COM
Mon Oct 27 16:05:11 GMT 2003

What kind of user guide are you looking for?

I use ms-mrtg to provide an operations group with a way to monitor the
system from a web browser.  Here is some generic verbiage that may be of use
to you.

Procedure 1:  Status Review

Frequency:  Every 2 hours

The server status pages are available via web interface and show the daily
progression in 5 minute increments of the following values:

          1.  total mail relayed per day

2.      total spam identified per day

3.      copies of sendmail per day

4.      copies of MailScanner per day

5.      bytes transferred per day

6.      memory daily graph

7.      incoming queue daily graph

8.      outgoing queue daily graph

9.      load avg daily graph

10.  cpu utilization daily graph

11.  Ethernet traffic per day

12.  /var/spool/ disk utilization

13.  / disk utilization

Clicking on any one of these graphs will display the historical record of
that particular statistic.  Any deviations from the normal pattern should be
investigated.  For example, if the incoming queue graph shows a growing
number of messages that may be an indication that the mailscanner service is
not running or is having a problem.

The current MRTG graphs can be found here:

(insert your URLs here)

Each graph should be visually inspected for unusual activity.  Unexpected
results may be represented graphically as a spike, a dip or drop off or a
flat line.  For some graphs these behaviors are normal, so it is important
to understand what each chart represents and to review historical chart data
as a comparison.

Individual Chart Details

Mail Relayed daily graph represents the total number of messages forwarded
through the system on a daily basis.  Messages that are quarantined are not
counted here because they are not forwarded through to the mail servers.
This graph should be steadily rising through the day.  Because it is a
constant incremental count, it will only increase or stay the same and NEVER
go down.  A sharp rise in traffic may be related to a denial of service
attack or mass mailing.  A flat-line of activity can be indicative of
service problems and the service should be verified from both inside and
outside the local network to ensure availability.

Spam Identified daily graph is a count of messages scoring greater than or
equal to the Spam Score as defined by MailScanner.  This includes High
Scoring spam messages.  This graph can be monitored for extreme deviations
but should rise about equally with the Mail Relayed daily graph on an
average day.

Virii Caught daily graph shows a total number of message found that violate
content filtering rules.  These messages are quarantined because of virii,
forbidden extensions and html embedded malicious code.  Any sharp rise in
this graph should be investigated.

Copies of Sendmail / MailScanner daily graph is an indicator of the
environment health.  It is not uncommon to see Sendmail processes reach into
the hundreds during busy periods.  Each message being delivered may spawn an
additional sendmail process.  Copies of sendmail will usually show large
spikes during periods of high activity.  MailScanner process should remain
at a mostly steady number throughout the day.  If this number goes up
dramatically, MailScanner may be experiencing problems or a lock condition.
The MailScanner system automatically resets itself dynamically every 4 hours
to prevent lock conditions and other problems that may occur in a volatile
environment.

Mbytes of Mail Transferred daily graph is useful for determining the total
network load due to external email.  Not required to be monitored except for
extreme variations.

Memory / Load Average / CPU Utilization daily graphs are used for system
health monitoring.  Any deviation on these graphs should be carefully
examined and reported on.  These figures should be compared to 'normal
operating baselines' on a regular basis.

NOTE:  CPU Utilization is the average utilization for all CPUs.

Files in Incoming / Outgoing Queue daily graphs provide an indication of the
queue status.  If there is a steadily rising number of messages in either
queue there is most likely a problem transferring mail.  If the buildup is
in the incoming queue MailScanner may be down or experiencing problems
processing mail.  If the buildup is in the outgoing queue the problem is
most likely related to the mail server (smtp service may be down).  DNS
problems are also a probable cause of outbound queue buildup.  Any rapid
increase in either of these queues should be reported as soon as they are
discovered.

Server Ethernet Traffic daily graph shows inbound and outbound network
traffic.  A spike in this graph may indicate a possible denial of service
attack.

Spaced Used daily graphs should be monitored on a regular basis.  These
figures should rise at a relatively constant rate.  If the totals rise above
50% or if a spike is observed, the condition should be reported.

NOTE:  The MRTG graphing system operates on the MS servers but completely
independent of the system mail processing applications.  Therefore it has
the ability to continue to operate and when the system has failed.  If any
of the graphs that are normally very active appear to flatline (show zero
activity) then it is likely that the system has failed and the services
should be checked for availability (see checking services below).

Any conditions worthy of reporting should be e-mailed to the system primary
admin via email.

Any condition that indicates system instability should be reported via email
to the primary admin and the primary admin should be notified via
phone/pager.