Redhat Linux ES 3.0 and MS

Marco Obaid marco at MUW.EDU
Fri Oct 24 04:13:34 IST 2003

Hi,

> I installed RHES 3.0 on a test box yesterday and the one thing I noticed
> right away was that 'rpm --rebuild' doesn't work.  Has this been replaced by
> something else?

I think that executing the build options in integrated in rpmbuild. You can
invoke rpmbuild from rpm (considered legacy now) but you have to do some work.
Look at the snips below:

*snip* from man rpm

LEGACY ISSUES
   Executing rpmbuild
       The build modes of rpm are now resident in the  /usr/bin/rpmbuild  exe-
       cutable.  Although  legacy  compatibility  provided by the popt aliases
       below has been adequate, the compatibility is not perfect; hence  build
       mode  compatibility  through  popt  aliases  is being removed from rpm.
       Install the rpmbuild package, and see rpmbuild(8) for documentation  of
       all the rpm build modes previously documented here in rpm(8).

       Add  the  following lines to /etc/popt if you wish to continue invoking
       rpmbuild from the rpm command line:

       rpm     exec --bp               rpmb -bp
       rpm     exec --bc               rpmb -bc
       rpm     exec --bi               rpmb -bi
       rpm     exec --bl               rpmb -bl
       rpm     exec --ba               rpmb -ba
       rpm     exec --bb               rpmb -bb
       rpm     exec --bs               rpmb -bs
       rpm     exec --tp               rpmb -tp
       rpm     exec --tc               rpmb -tc
       rpm     exec --ti               rpmb -ti
       rpm     exec --tl               rpmb -tl
       rpm     exec --ta               rpmb -ta
       rpm     exec --tb               rpmb -tb
       rpm     exec --ts               rpmb -ts
       rpm     exec --rebuild          rpmb --rebuild
       rpm     exec --recompile        rpmb --recompile
       rpm     exec --clean            rpmb --clean
       rpm     exec --rmsource         rpmb --rmsource
       rpm     exec --rmspec           rpmb --rmspec
       rpm     exec --target           rpmb --target
       rpm     exec --short-circuit    rpmb --short-circuit

*snip* from rpmbuild

   REBUILD AND RECOMPILE OPTIONS
       There are two other ways to invoke building with rpm:

       rpmbuild --rebuild|--recompile SOURCEPKG ...

       When  invoked this way, rpmbuild installs the named source package, and
       does a prep, compile and install.  In addition, --rebuild builds a  new
       binary  package.  When  the build has completed, the build directory is
       removed (as in --clean) and the the sources and spec file for the pack-
       age are removed.

Marco