RedHat 9 + MailScanner = slow system

Steve Freegard steve.freegard at LBSLTD.CO.UK
Thu Oct 23 12:34:40 IST 2003

Add a - before the log file name in /etc/syslog.conf to stop syslogd syncing
the file on every write:

e.g.
mail.*   -/var/log/maillog

Also in RedHat - you should edit /etc/sysconfig/i18n and remove the UTF8
entries as the unicode support in RH9 causes loads of problems with Perl.
This would fix the problem properly across reboots, but as an interim you
could source this file from /etc/profile.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Steve.

-----Original Message-----
From: Quentin Campbell <Q.G.Campbell at NEWCASTLE.AC.UK>
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK <MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
Sent: Thu Oct 23 11:51:09 2003
Subject: RedHat 9 + MailScanner = slow system

After upgrading we are running RH 9 + MS-4.24-5 + SA-2.60 on a Dell box
and find that many commands/operations are very slow to complete.

The evidence that we have suggests that "syslogd" cannot keep up with
requests to log and this causes the slow response we are seeing. We are
doing the same amount of MailScanner logging as we did before upgrading.
Does anyone have a handle on this or any other performance issues with
RH 9 and MS/SA?

Further info:

We have two other systems to compare against. These run on identical
Dell hardware to that used above but have RH 7.2 + MS-4.22-5 + SA-2.55
instead.

All three machines deal with the same amount of e-mail (they are our
three MX hosts) but the RH 9 system always has significantly higher load
levels as shown by "to" and "uptime".

Quentin
---
PHONE: +44 191 222 8209    Information Systems and Services (ISS),
                           University of Newcastle,
                           Newcastle upon Tyne,
FAX:   +44 191 222 8765    United Kingdom, NE1 7RU.
"Any opinion expressed above is mine. The University can get its own."

the sender and delete the message from your mailbox.

MailScanner (www.mailscanner.info) for the presence of computer viruses.