Mailscanner converting HTML messages with FORM tags

David Lee t.d.lee at DURHAM.AC.UK
Thu Oct 23 10:21:51 IST 2003

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Lancaster, David Matthew wrote:

> > etc)
> > > as
> > >
> > > Would you like to be able to strip _all_ html out of some messages, or
> > just
> > > strip out a few specific tags from some messages? The latter is much
> > harder.
> >
> > I don't currently have the need to strip out specific html...just to select
> > which of the three criteria (iframe, obj codebase, form) will cause the
> > message
> > to be converted to plain text.
> >
> > D.
> >

> Hate to be a pest, but any idea if this could be added to MailScanner?
> I realize that MailScanner must keep you quite busy, so if it's not something
> you're interested in looking at, I might take a peek at the code myself...but
> it doesn't make sense for two people to be duplicating the work.

If I understand it correctly, this revised behaviour and configuration
also has my vote.  (We want to allow "forms" through unmolested, but to
convert "object codebase".)

The proposed "Allow <X>= { yes | convert | no}" would seem to achieve such
flexibility with elegant simplicity and, further, to allow possible future
extensions beyond the current set of three values for <X>.

Further, one could also envisage (at least in theory) the possibility of
two (or even more?) different conversions:
   Allow <X>= { yes | no | convert-all | convert-tag }

Julian:  If you agree in principle, then I'd be happy to work (albeit
subject to the usual "local busy-ness constraints") with David Lancaster
to try to implement this framework over the coming weeks.  (I took at
quick peek yesterday at the relevant 4.24-5 code to see what might be
needed.)