Help with RFC Format MS 4.25-5 : More

Kevin Spicer kevins at BMRB.CO.UK
Thu Oct 16 20:35:55 IST 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 19:45, Julian Field wrote:

> I just checked RFC2822 and a "." is quite legal in the name of a
header.

Thats what I thought from my reading of it too.  That said if certain
MTA's/filters are rejecting headers containing dots maybe all user
defined headers in MailScanner should be stripped of dots (or maybe even
restricted to [\w-]+ ) when read in to ensure maximum compatability.  We
might be in the right but its not worth the bad press (particularly when
dealing with the fairly common attitude of 'Well if Symantec say so it
must be true, they're a really big company'...)

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000
business.