Convert Dangerous HTML feature

Lancaster, David Matthew dml at UNB.CA
Thu Oct 16 17:35:23 IST 2003

Quoting Peter Peters <P.G.M.Peters at utwente.nl>:

> On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:59:22 -0300, you wrote:
>
> >The HTML Forms option is causing a bit of grief here.
> >
> >I had briefly blocked HTML forms, but a number of users receive legitimate
> HTML
> >newsletters with forms in them. (search boxes, etc.)
> >
> >So I disabled the block HTML Forms option....but now HTML emails with form
> tags
> >are converted to text, since I have the "Convert Dangerous HTML To Text"
> option
> >set to yes.
>
> I use rules to only allow in mail from certain senders.

Yeah, did that for a few days while evaluating the impact.

> >Now, I appreciate this feature, since it permits IFRAMES and OBJECT
> CODEBASE
> >ridden emails to be passed while mitigating the dangers of such.
> >
> >So, what I'm wondering is, can the "Allow ..." and "Convert" options be
> changed
> >to allow a fine-grain level of control.
> >
> >Perhaps something like:
> >Allow Object Codebase Tags = convert
> >Allow IFrame Tags = convert
> >Allow Form Tags = yes
>
> You could use the same rulesets for the Allow-rules and the
> Convert-rules but reversed. An address in the Allow-rule with a yes
> would end up in the convert-rule with a no. You can even write a script
> that converts the one rule-file tot the other whil replacing yes and no.

Yes, but I'd prefer to not have to keep adding to the lists.

I just foresee more items (e.g. javascript, webbugs, lazy html) being added as
triggers to the "Convert Dangerous..." function, but only wanting some of the
of the triggers active.

D.