Virus Notices Suggestion

Stephe Campbell campbell at CNPAPERS.COM
Wed Oct 15 14:20:45 IST 2003

Please append the script upon your site along with the others. The mrtg-spamscorer looks interesting also, as I have downloaded for review.

Thank you very much for your efforts.

Steve Campbell
campbell at cnpapers.com
Charleston Newspapers
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Corey S. McFadden
  To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
  Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2003 5:26 AM
  Subject: Re: Virus Notices Suggestion

  Matt,

  I had the same problem right around the time the first wave of SoBig viruses hit...  (Try sifting through 20k messages after taking the day off!!)

  So, I put together a simple script that scans the mail log at the end of the day on a cron job and e-mails a formatted count.  It's really basic and doesn't have a lot of information, so I'm not sure if you're interested.  Also, we use McAfee and I haven't tried it with any other scanners...

  Anyhow, I'll append the output below.  If anyone wants it, let me know and I'll put up a link to it at http://web.csma.biz/resources.shtml

  Here is a daily e-mail from a low-volume server generated yesterday:

  Subject: E-Mail Viruses (Tue) - SYSTEMNAME

Viruses found by MailScanner & McAfee today:

a.. W32/Klez.h at MM.....32 times.

b.. W32/Lovelorn.dr.....11 times.

c.. W32/Lovelorn at MM.....11 times.

d.. W32/Swen at MM.....18 times.

A total of 72 viruses were found and filtered.

-Corey