SV: Addendum to Virus Scanner Review

Maillists hb.maillists at DFS.DK
Sun Oct 12 23:25:37 IST 2003

Hi Nathan,

http://www.f-secure.com/products/anti-virus/linux/

The server-version is still available for (Amavis) MailScanner.

/henrik

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: MailScanner mailing list [mailto:MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK] På vegne
af Nathan Johanson
Sendt: 10. oktober 2003 22:12
Til: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Emne: Addendum to Virus Scanner Review

Hello all,

I recently posted the results of a full-scale, commercial anti-virus review.
In that email, I said that F-Secure had a per-server licensing model (based
on their web site). However (while in the midst of my testing phase), I went
back to their site and noticed that they have switched their licensing model
to per user when used to scan email.

At the time of my review a few weeks ago, F-Secure said this about F-Secure
AntiVirus for Linux.

==
The command line scanner provides a versatile and powerful tool that works
both as a user-invoken command and as a platform for automated antivirus
systems. Detailed reporting and return codes ensure easy integration with
third party mail scanners such as AMaViS (A Mail Virus Scanner).
==

Now, it says this:

==
In case the product is used to scan e-mail traffic, licensing is based on
the number of users who have access to the services provided by the product.
In that case, the customer needs to buy a license for F-Secure Anti-Virus
for Linux Gateways ==

This means that in the last month they have gone from per user, to per
server, to per user again. A follow up with the sales director I was talking
to earlier yielded no response and no explanations.

In short, it's clear that these guys are in transition and aren't really
sure how to sell their products. I've scratched them off my list. For those
of you that can afford this kind of license, F-Secure does appear to be a
viable product from a technical standpoint since it incorporate three
different engines into one scanner.

Nathan