Slow access to RBLs?

noway mailscanner at AVERYHILLS.COM
Thu Oct 9 19:38:15 IST 2003

You have a network team and all they can say is "we haven't changed
anything"? I'd fire all of them.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stanier, Alan M" <alan at ESSEX.AC.UK>
To: <MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2003 4:24 AM
Subject: Slow access to RBLs?

We are running MailScanner 4.23-11 under RedHat-9

Yesterday email starting running extremely slowly, with messages
accumulating
in the Incoming Queue Directory

Messages in /var/adm/maillog showed problems with RBL checking ...

Oct  8 09:01:20 serlinux15 MailScanner[18710]: RBL Check relays.ordb.org
timed out and was killed, consecutive failure 4 of 7
Oct  8 09:01:45 serlinux15 MailScanner[18670]: RBL Check MAPS-RBL+ timed out
and was killed, consecutive failure 1 of 7

I disabled RBL checking, and email started running at full speed again.

It seems infeasible that all the RBLs we check should have developed
problems
simultaneously, so the problem is presumably local, but I can't think where.
The network team here assure me they have made no changes which might have
such
an affect.

Does anyone have any suggestion?

--------
Alan Stanier
Essex University Information Systems Services
Systems Group