Performance question

Kevin Spicer kevins at BMRB.CO.UK
Wed Oct 8 21:26:28 IST 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 20:52, Alan Fiebig wrote:

>Did you check /etc/syslog.conf to make sure that you have a dash before
>every file name?
>#mail.*                         /var/log/maillog
>mail.*                          -/var/log/maillog

Should the dash, as you say, be in front of 'every' file name, or only
on the 'mail.*' ones?

I would say that is personal choice.  The effect is not to sync after
every write.  My view is that losing a few mail log lines if the box
goes down is not really an issue, but I'd like to know that my syslog
was logging critical messages right up to the moment the box gave up.
The default on Mandrake (which is what I use & I rarely change the
syslog config much - apart from adding a line for remote logging) is to
add it to everything except auth,authpriv.* kernel.err and *.emerg which
seems pretty sensible.  The other thing I like about Mandrakes default
config (while I'm on the subject) is that the mail logs (and others) are
split into info & below, warn and err & above.  This is very handy when
looking for problems, given the size of the typical maillog.

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000
business.