Performance question

Mariano Absatz mailscanner at LISTS.COM.AR
Wed Oct 8 18:23:07 IST 2003

Do you know what kind of filesystem is /var/mqueue.in on? (e.g. ext2).

The standard unix filesystems (including ext2 and, I think ext3 also) are
_reaaaaallyyyyyyy_ slow on very large directory searches.

Add to that the fact that MailScanner tries to order queue files by date
(stat-ing the files in the queue for every batch).

Long before investing in new hardware I would:

1) install the new MS 4.24 which has an emergency mode triggered when the
input queue exceeds a (configurable) treshold:
Max Normal Queue Size = 5000
(you can modify this value, but don't set it too low).
This will turn "emergency mode" on when it finds the input queue has more
than 5,000 messages.
During "emergency mode", MS won't try to order queue files and will
process as it finds them.
This should:
a) increase (significantly) the overall MailScanner throughput
b) eliminate (during that period) MailScanner "fairness", since old
messages may be processed well after newer ones.
MailScanner will stay in "emergency mode" for 40 more rounds _after_ the
queue dropped below "Max Normal Queue Size" before switching back to
"normal mode" in order to try to completely drain the queue and not have
to be switching modes constantly.

2) the other thing you can do is to switch the filesystem type (using
ReiserFS, or other of the new FSs... however doing that is well beyond
the scope of this list).

Regards.

--
Mariano Absatz