automatic queue run on hanging virus scanner update

Michael Weiser michael at DINSNAIL.NET
Wed Oct 8 12:24:38 IST 2003

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Antony Stone wrote:

> > 12109  sendmail: Queue runner at 00:15:00 for /var/spool/mqueue
> I assume the first queue /var/spool/mqueue is your MailScanner output
> directory?
This one is the outgoing mqueue.

> > 15793  sendmail: accepting connections
> The second process is your process for accepting incoming connections.
This one saves incoming messages to /var/spool/mqueue.in where they get
picked up by MailScanner and then put into /var/spool/mqueue.

> > 15802  sendmail: Queue runner at 01:00:00 for /var/spool/clientmqueue
> What is the queue dir referenced by the third sendmail?   What is
> /var/spool/clientmqueue??
This one was introduced with sendmail 8.12.5 as a special client queue
runner because sendmail isn't suid root anymore and tries to deliver
locally generated messages to 127.0.0.1:25 instaed of suid-ing and putting
them directly into /var/spool/mqueue wich was good for lots of exploits in
the past. If that SMTP delivery ever goes wrong, mail is put into
/var/spool/clientmqueue where it is picked up by the above special queue
runner.

Do I make any sense to you? :)

So messages accumulated in mqueue.in because MailScanner hung and didn't
pick 'em up there. Periodically some sendmail was started and processed
mqueue.in, delivering 'em to mqueue without spam checking. I haven't had
time to look into mailscanner-mrtg yet, but I tend to suspect it might be
doing this for some reason.

> Please check your MailScanner.conf and tell us what directories you are using
> for the input queue and output queue as far as MS is concerned.
The typical Linux RPM installation:

Incoming Queue Dir = /var/spool/mqueue.in
Outgoing Queue Dir = /var/spool/mqueue
Incoming Work Dir = /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming
Quarantine Dir = /var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine
--
bye, Micha