automatic queue run on hanging virus scanner update

Wed Oct 8 09:57:33 IST 2003

On Wednesday 08 October 2003 9:52 am, Michael Weiser wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Raymond Dijkxhoorn wrote:
> > > processed every 21 minutes past the full hour, apparently bypassing at
> > > least spam checking. I've ruled out a cron job doing this so it seems
> > > to me MailScanner recognised the hanging update and periodically did a
> > > queue flush. Now I wonder if this is somehow configurable somewhere?
> >
> > What scanner are you using? The scripts for f-prot are changed in the
> > last version especially to avoid things like this.
>
> It's a Linux box still running mailscanner 4.23 and the hanging update was
> antivir. pstree showed that the antivir executable itself was hanging, not
> MailScanner or the antivir-update/wrapper script.

I thought all the wrapper scripts had been recently updated to ensure that a
hanging update process was detected and gracefully aborted after a fairly
short time, in order to avoid mail queuing up on a server?

> The actual hanging wasn't too bad because it's a low volume site.  Indeed
> I'd rather configure it to hang completely but not bypass spam checks.

That's not a solution most people would be happy with :)

Regards,

Antony.

--

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.

 - Oscar Wilde