4.23-11: major bug: virus warning text itself appears in quarantine

Jay Berkenbilt ejb at QL.ORG
Wed Oct 1 00:36:55 IST 2003

>  I have just tested this with
>
>  Allow Form Tags = no
>
>  and 3 different combinations of quarantine options:
>
>  1) Quarantine Infections = yes
>  Quarantine Whole Message = no
>  Quarantine Whole Messages As Queue Files = no
>
>  2) Quarantine Infections = yes
>  Quarantine Whole Message = yes
>  Quarantine Whole Messages As Queue Files = no
>
>  3) Quarantine Infections = yes
>  Quarantine Whole Message = yes
>  Quarantine Whole Messages As Queue Files = yes
>
>  In all cases it worked precisely as I would expect it to.
>
>  Can anyone else reproduce this problem?

In case it has to do with some specific combination of settings, here
is what I changed from the default MailScanner.conf, excluding things
that are "obviously" not relevant like "High Scoring Spam Subject
Text".  If it would help, I can send a copy of my MailScanner.conf
privately.  I'd rather not post it to the list.

   Use SpamAssassin = yes
   High SpamAssassin Score = 12
   SpamAssassin Timeout = 20
   Max SpamAssassin Timeouts = 5
   Spam Actions = %rules-dir%/spam.actions.rules
   High Scoring Spam Actions = forward some at address
   Sender Spam Report = %etc-dir%/reports/sender.report.txt
   Sender Spam List Report = %etc-dir%/reports/sender.report.txt
   Sender SpamAssassin Report = %etc-dir%/reports/sender.report.txt

My spam.actions.rules file:

   FromAndTo:      *@my.domain             forward some at address
   To:             *@my.domain             bounce forward some at address
   FromOrTo:       default                 deliver forward some at address

my.domain and some at address aren't the real values, of course, but all
occurrences of some at address above point to the same address.

My configuration files are directly derived from the MailScanner
4.23-11 configuration files.  They are not a result of running
upgrade_MailScanner_conf.  I prefer to re-introduce my changes with
each release (using M-x ediff-files-with-ancestor) so that I always
have the latest comments, etc. and came make nice enhancements like
replacing /etc/MailScanner with %etc-dir%. :-)

--
Jay Berkenbilt <ejb at ql.org>
http://www.ql.org/q/