MS + Trend InterScan Virus Wall

Jason SAuve jason at ROBARTS.CA
Sat Nov 29 17:09:55 GMT 2003

> >  I had to change the code status in SweepViruses.pm to make Trend
work at
> > all with MS.
>
> That's why it is still Beta. What changes did you have to make? What
> version of trend are you using?

My wording may have been misleading, I should have said "I had to change
SweepViruses.pm to make MS (4.24-5) work with Trend. I had to change

    SupportScanning     => $S_SUPPORTED,
    SupportDisinfect    => $S_SUPPORTED,

under "trend" virus scanners. No changes to Trend were needed, just the
pathnames in virus.scanners.conf to point to /etc/iscan (this is the
default location to trend's vscan, and according to Trend, vscan and all
apps should always be launched from /etc/iscan directory regardless of
platform). I would recommend that the default path for
virus.scanners.conf reflect this. I also had to edit trend-wrapper to
change the paths there as well (removing /bin/ from pathname references)

I see that the default code status for Trend vscan is now SUPPORTED in
the MS 4.25-11 as was just released today.

We are using Trend InterScan Virus Wall v3.8's vscan component (with
updated scan engine)

Virus Scanner v3.1, VSAPI v6.510-1002
Trend Micro Inc. 1996,1997

> >  Secondly, how do I disable MS's autoupdate when using trend as it is
not
> > needed.
>
> You could just delete (or probably even chmod 0000)
> /usr/lib/MailScanner/trend-autoupdate.

I removed /etc/cron.hourly/update_virus_scanners. It would be more
politically correct to remove trend-autoupdate instead, but since we're
using Trend for pattern updates it's redundant. We have to be strict
about keeping things legal with virus scanners on an email gateway
machine (per user costs), licensing for products like Sophos are not the
same as for a standalone server. Trend offers a hefty discount for
educational institutions.

PS: For anyone thinking about purchasing InterScan Virus Wall I would
highly discourage it. Their SMTP email gateway virus scanner (an
alternative to MailScanner) is very unreliable. Trend will only support
RH 7.3 (which as far as most people are concerned, is obsolete,
especially so after redhat discontinues product updates for the non-
enterprise products December 31/03 and April 31/04 for RH9). MailScanner
has proven reliable for us for almost 2 years
now.