MS + Trend InterScan Virus Wall

Jason jason at ROBARTS.CA
Fri Nov 28 19:58:48 GMT 2003

Julian,

I've installed MailScanner 4.24-5 on Redhat Enterprise Linux ES 3.0 with
Trend InterScan Virus Wall 3.8 for Linux and everything is working. I had to
install the C++ compatibility libraries to make trend work (provided with
installation media)

We receive approx 10000 emails per day (40% of which are spam)

Trend is successfuly detecting viruses and quarantining them to the proper
directory. I use our Trend ISVW site license to make use of the interscan
web console in ISVW which auto-updates virus patterns from Trend on a
daily/hourly/specified basis (but this ONLY works with a valid s/n in
/etc/iscan/intscan.ini)

My question is when will the code status for Trend in MS change from Alpha
to Supported? I had to change the code status in SweepViruses.pm to make
Trend work at all with MS. Secondly, how do I disable MS's autoupdate when
using trend as it is not needed.

Might I add as a side note for everyone that Redhat has removed the
MySQL-server completely from the product (as well as PostGreSQL-server). Now
included are only the SQL clients, how useless is that?

Thank you in advance,

Jason Sauve
Systems Administrator
Robarts Research Institute