Complete Virus Scanner Review

Jan-Peter Koopmann Jan-Peter.Koopmann at SECEIDOS.DE
Wed Nov 26 14:47:48 GMT 2003

> ========
> F-Secure
> http://www.f-secure.com
>
> F-Secure Anti-Virus for Servers for Linux
> http://www.f-secure.com/estore/fsavlinuxserver.shtml
>
> Licensing Model: Per Server
> Cost: $328.71 per server (as quoted on web site)
>
> Evaluation version available upon request.
>
> Quote from product description:
>
> F-Secure Anti-Virus 4.51 for Linux uses multiple scanning
> engines (F-Prot, AVP, Orion) to ensure flawless protection
> against viruses in the wild.
>
> The command line scanner provides a versatile and powerful
> tool that works both as a user-invoken command and as a
> platform for automated antivirus systems. Detailed reporting
> and return codes ensure easy integration with third party
> mail scanners such as AMaViS (A Mail Virus Scanner).
>
> Notes: F-Secure was very receptive to my inquiries. Oddly
> enough, when I first started investigating their product,
> they used a per-user licensing model (which was prohibitively
> expensive for us). I called to see if they would consider
> licensing alternatives (and explained how we would use the
> product in conjunction with MailScanner). I ended up talking
> to a very reception sales director in San Jose, California.
> Within a week, they were offering a version of their scanner
> at $328.71 per server intended for exactly our purposes. It
> is unclear if my discussions with them had anything to do
> with this recent offering, but it's good news nonetheless.

This is what the license in the trial says:

 stated in the F-Secure License Certificate. In case the Software or
  its services are shared through a network or the Software is used to
  protect traffic from viruses or other malicious code at email servers,
  firewalls or gateways, You must have a license for the total number of
  users whom the Software provides services to. In that case You may
  install the Software on as many units as needed.

I think this pretty clearly states, that you have to buy a license per
user and not per server...  Is that not true?

Regards,
  JP