Copying all messages received to a given mailbox

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Nov 23 13:05:11 GMT 2003

At 12:48 23/11/2003, you wrote:
>Can anyone help me out with a simple way to acheive this?  I have
>fetchmail pulling messages from a multi-drop mailbox and distributing
>them to local mailboxes using sendmail with MailScanner in between.  I
>have been requested to also put a copy of all messages received into a
>specific mailbox.
>
>This is not the request of a control freak, just a way of ensuring that
>messages get actioned in an office with a floating population.
>
>I guess this is really a sendmail config issue, or can MailScanner
>itself make a copy?  Any help much appreciated.

You should be able to do this with sendmail, however MailScanner can do it
as well.
 From MailScanner.conf:

# Space-separated list of any combination of
# 1. email addresses to which mail should be forwarded,
# 2. directory names where you want mail to be stored,
# 3. file names (they must already exist!) to which mail will be appended
#    in "mbox" format suitable for most Unix mail systems.
#
# If you give this option a ruleset, you can control exactly whose mail
# is archived or forwarded. If you do this, beware of the legal implications
# as this could be deemed to be illegal interception unless the police have
# asked you to do this.
#Archive Mail = /var/spool/MailScanner/archive

So if you point "Archive Mail" at a file (which must already exist,
otherwise it doesn't know it's archiving to a file), it will archive all
mail to that file in mbox format, which just about any IMAP/POP server can
read, as well as most Linux/Unix email apps.

If you only want to archive some mail, or you want to archive different
mail to different mailboxes, point it at a ruleset which supplies the
filename you want to use for the archive of any particular message. Read
/etc/MailScanner/rules/* for information about this.
--
Julian Field
PGP footprint: EE81 D763 3DB0 0BFD E1DC  7222 11F6 5947 1415 B654