spam sneaking thru because spamassassin times out?

John Wilcock john at TRADOC.FR
Fri Nov 21 12:21:13 GMT 2003

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 10:14:16 +0000, Julian Field wrote:
> >I've been noticing a bit of spam sneaking through the system evidently because
> >SpamAssassin timed out. I never had that before I upgraded SA and MS. Any
> >thoughts or workarounds?
>
> If you use razor or pyzor, check your server lists are up to date. There is
> a "server discovery" command in each of these packages I believe, you will
> find it in the docs for those packages.
>
> In spam.assassin.prefs.conf, keep the rbl_timeout figure fairly small (10
> or 15 seconds?) so that MS doesn't kill SA just because SA is waiting for
> an RBL lookup.

Also, if you've just upgraded spamassassin, make sure that it has
fully upgraded the bayes databases to the new db_file format.
The conversion performed by sa-learn --import is not enough - I found
that the first autolearn after the upgrade took longer than the
default timeout (debug mode said something about converting the
journal file IIRC), causing all autolearnable messages to time out
until I temporarily upped the timeout.

John.

--
-- Over 2000 webcams from ski resorts around the world - www.snoweye.com