"Dangerous Content" or "Banned Content"?

Kevin Spicer kevins at BMRB.CO.UK
Thu Nov 20 07:57:01 GMT 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 00:45, Corey S. McFadden wrote:

>Unless a strong word is used, users are going to challenge you to
>justify
>the policy every time they get an error message...  (The fact that a
>policy
>decision was made to determine whether something is dangerous or not
>isn't
>something users need to be in on.)  Show them that there's some
>ambiguity
>and they'll want to debate with you every time they can't receive
>something.

But not everything is blocked because it is dangerous, some sites will
block other kinds of content just because it violates some other
policy.  For example some sites will block video/audio files so they can
show due diligence in preventing users from having illegal copies of
music etc. on their PC's.  I used to block all MS office attachments on
my home box because I got fed up with people sending me trivial
powerpoint presentations that I didn't have software to open.

This is why you should have written policies (and the policies should
explain what is blocked and why).  Then you can refer all enquiries to
the written policy.

I guess though that the exact word does depend on your circumstances.