Very large queue and very long delays

Steve Freegard steve.freegard at LBSLTD.CO.UK
Fri Nov 14 14:53:26 GMT 2003

Hi Ramon,

You could run:  spamassassin -D -t /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf
--lint  to see where SA is having the trouble.

Also, if you've got razor2/dcc or pyzor installed - in
spam.assassin.prefs.conf add:

use_razor2 0
use_dcc 0
use_pyzor 0

As they all seem to be running slow today - this dropped the delay time to
deliver a message from around 30 secs per batch to <5 secs.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Steve.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ramon Acedo [mailto:ramon at LINUX-LABS.NET]
Sent: 14 November 2003 14:41
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Very large queue and very long delays

Hi,

I'm using mailscanner 4.24-5 in debian woody with sendmail 8.12.3 and kernel
2.4.22.

Almost everyday my mqueue.in grows up to 2000 emails pending to be delivered
(or queued at mqueue directory) and the delay of some mails reaches 3 hours!

The mqueue directory has always about 200 mails pending what is reasonble.

I've tried to decrease the Queue Scan Interval to 2, to increase the Max
Children to 10 (I've got a 2,4 PIV with 1GB of RAM) and to try Delivery
Method to queue and to batch (without any differences). The load is never
over 0.7 (maybe more just when MS starts).

I have disabled the RBL checks setting "Spam List = " and setting
skip_rbl_checks 1 in /opt/MailScanner/etc/spam.assassin.prefs.conf
and I have enabled my sendmail to check the relays.ordb.org though MS keeps
logging lots of "SpamAssassin timed out and was killed."

MS seems to not to change its behaviour processing the queue and after some
hours after when the number of mails per hour decreases from about 3000 to
about 600 the queue keeps growing and growing.

Doew anyone any ideas?

Thanks!

Ramon Acedo

the sender and delete the message from your mailbox.

MailScanner (www.mailscanner.info) for the presence of computer viruses.