A performance upgrade

Wed Nov 12 09:21:53 GMT 2003

Steve Douglas wrote:

> My gateway is RH9 and MS 4.24-11 (I think).  I intentionally stay a few
> versions behind.  I don't get along with the word beta.
>
> My MS gateway is running rock solid.  No complaints here.  I have made a few
> tweaks along the way to improve performance.  Nothing else runs on the unit.
> The system only receives around 3 to 4k messages a day.  I just increased
> the RAM from 512 mb to 1.5 gb of RAM.  It is a PIV.
>
> The system was installed originally with 512mb of RAM.  Is there any
> quick-and-slick changes anyone can suggest to tweak this system further to
> optimize MS?  I see similar messages in the forum quite often, but there is
> nothing I am specifically looking to fix due to the reliability of the unit.
>

> Being a linux idiot, I am open for suggestions.  Thanks!
Steve

so how long it is taking to process messages. I got a 600mhz celeron
with 512MB ram running FreeBSD 4.8 and single / partition (would be more
efficient to run a separate /var) coping very nicely with 7k-9k messages
a day. Oh and its running mailwatch with the mysql DB all locally.

Load average is around 0.5.

I guess the thing here is to use softupdates (similar to journaling) to
increase the filesystem performance under heavy r/w operartions. Not as
fast as tmpfs on Linux, but better than journalling under Linux from
what I remember of the paper.

--
Martin Hepworth
Senior Systems Administrator