Diagnosing SpamAssassin timeouts...

Peter Bates Peter.Bates at LSHTM.AC.UK
Wed Nov 5 13:07:32 GMT 2003

Hello all...

I'm still running MailScanner 4.21 (i.e. I should upgrade), so
apologies as always if this is a feature that has 'creeped' in.

We had backlogs recently (Postfix and MS, SA 2.6, DCC, Razor2 and
multiple AV engines) which lead me to look more at the time it was
taking to do various tests.

Since then, I've disabled Razor2 completely, and switched to DCC with
the dccifd interface (which seems to be working fine)...

My problem, though, is in identifying where SA is failing... eventually
(based on the MS configuration) an SA run will 'time out', but I have no
idea whether hanging up on DCC, or Razor or whatever is causing the most
'time spent'.

Reading various threads on the list, people comment about 'Razor having
problems today' or 'I'm experiencing timeouts with DCC', but I guess I'm
wondering what they did to isolate that conclusion...

Does SA return this information at all in a way MailScanner can use it
(to provide more useful logged error messages), or am I getting this all
wrong?

Thanks...