Pyzor and Razor and DCC

Derek Winkler dwinkler at ALGORITHMICS.COM
Tue May 27 20:04:10 IST 2003

I've recently added Razor and DCC and modified my reporting to track their
usage.

We currently receive approx 6000 emails a day from the internet and
somewhere between 30-40% are considered spam, sometimes it's as high as 60%.

>From skimming my reports for the last week, approx. 1500-2000 messages are
identified as spam by DCC and about 200-300 by Razor.

I also track where DCC or Razor made a difference between the mail being
considered spam or not. Only about 50-100 messages are considered spam
because of DCC or Razor. This is with Required SpamAssassin Score = 5.

For me adding Razor and DCC has raised scores and is probably going to make
it more likely for me to add delete to my High Scoring Spam Actions but
doesn't really make a huge difference to the number of emails considered
spam.

Of course, this all depends on your scoring for DCC and Razor, mine are at
defaults right now.

I may consider raising the score for DCC, but does this mean more false
positives due to mailing lists?

The other thing I'm considering is turning them off since they don't seem to
make much of a difference and are prime suspects when mail starts queuing.

My 2 cents.