Fragmented messages ?

Peter Peters P.G.M.Peters at CIV.UTWENTE.NL
Fri May 23 16:14:53 IST 2003

On Fri, 23 May 2003 16:54:27 +0200, you wrote:

>> So you end up with the two possibilities that MailScanner 4.x gives you:
>> You either forbid fragmented messages (the most reasonable one) or allow them
>> to pass thru without being scanned at all. But seriously, in the current
>> bandwidth Internet, I see really _very_ little use for fragmented messages,
>> the most prominent one would be... attacking :-)
>
>So how your users send their big messages, if they can't be fragmented ??

The (old) reason for fragmenting messages was because if one fragment
would be faulty or the connection would drop while sending it would be
easy to resend the problem fragment. But their are most likely not that
many problems anymore.

I have had users send the complete information for books (including
graphs, pictures and other stuff) to publishers without any problems.
The problems occuring today are more likely mailboxes with not enough
storage capacity for the complete message let alone when it is
fragmented.

--
Peter Peters, senior netwerkbeheerder
Dienst Informatietechnologie, Bibliotheek en Educatie (ITBE)