Pop3 Proxy

Mike Kercher mike at CAMAROSS.NET
Thu May 22 14:21:28 IST 2003

You could have fetchmail go get the external email and deliver it
internally.

-----Original Message-----
Of Gary Morgan
Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2003 3:56 AM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: OT: Pop3 Proxy

Yesterday I had a mass mailing virus get into the office.  At first I was
quite surprised that it made it past Mailscanner.  I haven't seen a single
virus in months (since I first installed Mailscanner).  After some
investigation I found that it originated from someone in the office who was
checking an external pop3 account.

My first reaction was to block all external pop3 connections at the
firewall.  My CT0 wasn't happy with that solution.  He thought it would
cause to much of a disruption.  I had considered installing a pop3 proxy on
each client machine (similar to Spam Assassign pro).  However that involves
too much client configuration.  So my next idea was to setup a transparent
pop3 proxy which would run some type of virus protection, and possibly a
spam filter.

Does anyone know of such an application?  Or has anyone used such an
application either currently or in the past?  Reviews?

Julian have you ever thought of creating such an application?  It would be
great to have the same protection from external pop3 servers as I do on my
own mail server.

Thanks,
Gary Morgan

dangerous content by MailScanner at asynchrony.com,