Silent virus list, was: Palyh-A virus

Martin Sapsed m.sapsed at BANGOR.AC.UK
Tue May 20 10:20:59 IST 2003

Julian Field wrote:

> I don't think there is a difference. The day will shortly arrive when we
> all just set
>         Warn Senders = no
> I have been anticipating this happening for a few months now. If most of
> the senders are fake anyway, there is no point in trying to warn them at
> all. Sad, but true :-(

Don't forget that the warnings will still be useful for the
old-fashioned simple case where someone attaches a Word document with a
virus in it, or sends a Joke or Trojanised program to a friend. We've
even had the odd spasm of old things like SirCam which the warnings are
useful for.

> I'm not going to change the default value in the distribution yet, but it
> will happen one day soon.

I realise that the majority of viruses caught these days are from
Sender-faking worms but I don't think it's time to give up with warnings
yet...

Cheers,

Martin

--
Martin Sapsed
Information Services               "Who do you say I am?"