spam score for each test in header

Stephen Swaney Steve at SWANEY.COM
Fri May 16 13:11:20 IST 2003

I agree with not messing with the message, but one firm has created a
system where when a message is detected as spam, the original spam is
encapsulated as a attachment to a message that reads:

-----------------------------

Our mailscanner believes that the attachment to this message sent to you
by

     spammer at junkmail.com

    Work from Home, Make big Bucks!!!

is Unsolicited Commerial Email (Spam). Unless you are sure that this
message is incorrectly thoght to be Spam, please delete this message
without opening it. Onpening Spam messages might allow the Spammer to
verify your email address.

If you believe that this message has been uncorrectly marked a spam,
please forward this email to whitelist at our-company.com

------------------------------

When this technique is combined with good {Spam?} and {High Spam?}
scoring, it might allow the identification of false positives while
hiding offensive images and messages.

Note that email to whitelist at ourcompany.com is not automatically
whitelisted but examined to see if it should be.

Thoughts?

On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 06:01, Julian Field wrote:

> At 10:19 16/05/2003, you wrote:
> >Brilliant !!!  Thanks Julian.
> >
> >I am 100% happy with your solution.   But if I may push my luck...  How
> >difficult would it be to transfer this header line into an attachment to
> >the message named something like "spam_score_details.txt", and get the
> >list of test & scores in a neat format with carriage returns after each
> >score, and an explanation at the top for the user saying something like
> >"Your MailScanner system has performed the following tests to determine if
> >it was spam. Please see yout local IT officer for more details". Or leave
> >us to create that piece of text so that we can add our contact details, etc.?
>
> Not keen on that. MailScanner doesn't mess with the message more than it
> has to, and this would create an attachment on every single message. Even
> if you just do this with spam, you are adding to your spam load problem,
> not reducing it.
> --
> Julian Field
> www.MailScanner.info