mqueue.in build up

steve steve at INTELIPORT.COM
Mon May 12 23:46:34 IST 2003

Julian,

What would be the process roadmap that occurs when both virus and spam checking is enabled and we start to get build up of email in the mqueue.in dir.
When we turn off the spam checking the mqueue.in starts to clear out.  Turn Spam checking back on system runs normal until something causes it to return to a buildup in mqueue.in once again.  Could be days before we see this or hours still looking for something in the log files to indicate reason but have yet to see anything or any patterns.

Normal operation 100-200 messages in dir +or- 30%
When mqueue.in starts to build up I notice this from log
May 12 16:03:45 postman MailScanner[8224]: New Batch: Found 500 messages waiting
May 12 16:03:45 postman MailScanner[8224]: New Batch: Scanning 44 messages, 341312 bytes
May 12 16:03:45 postman MailScanner[8224]: Spam Checks: Starting

New Batch will continue to increase scanning can jump around on messages maybe 9 or as above 44 no pattern

Using Sophos for virus protection using SpamAssassin with spam list ORDB-RBL Infinite-Monkeys # MAPS-RBL+ costs money Sendmail calls this directly as we pay for this service and is picked up on a secondary machine that gets updates from MAPS-RBL+

Any ideas or is more information required, Julian you have already reviewed our system and told us it was large enough to handle the email we have coming through the system.  The temp disk suggestion that you gave me, did not work as I currently do not have the ability to do that with the current kernel.  I will have to try that but in the mean time I'm at a stand still on what is causing this issue.

Thanks in advance
Steve