spamassassin 2.53 & MailScanner

Peter Bates Peter.Bates at LSHTM.AC.UK
Fri May 9 12:08:43 IST 2003

It's teetering on OT for this list, but I'm using SA 2.53
and MS (4.20-3) quite happily...

As with others on the list, I'm using DCC and Razor (2)
and RBL-checking in SA to add to the overall 'score',
before tagging and delivering. I do however reject some
things at the MTA by other means.

Yesterday or so I added the following refinement to
my spam.assassin.prefs.conf:

score MSGID_GOOD_EXCHANGE -2.0

... as I've been seeing an increasing number of messages
being scored low (the score above, being -5+ in the default
configuration can work against the other factors identifying
the message as 'spam') due to this rule... I'm guessing more
people are relaying through Microsoft Exchange servers, or
someone has found the mystical incantation to spoof the format
of Message-ID.

It was only a matter of time, I guess before spammers started using
the 'negative' rules in SA to try and reduce their overall scores.
I also got one this morning, claiming to have been sent via Emacs
which had obviously contributed to it being passed as 'clean'...