config Error: Cannot match against destination IP

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri May 9 01:54:40 IST 2003

At 00:48 09/05/2003, you wrote:
>Hi,
>I am getting this error from MailScanner in the syslog:
>
>mailscanner[6739]: Config Error: Cannot match against  destination IP
>address when resolving configuration option  "spamwhitelist"
>
>I have 4.14-9 and spamassassin 2.60.
>
>This is running an a Solaris 5.8 box with sendmail 8.12.9.  I killed
>spamassassin thinking it was the problem, but I get the error weather or
>not the spamd is running.
>
>There is no reference to "spamwhitelist" in the mailscanner.conf file.

The reason for that is that MailScanner (probably incorrectly) gives you
the internal name of the option that caused the error, not the external
name. It is referring to your "Is Definitely Not Spam" setting.

What you have done is put an IP address-based rule in the ruleset, and you
are matching it with "FromOrTo:" or "To:". You can only match IP addresses
that the message came *From*, not where it is going "To". The simple reason
for that is you don't know the destination IP address until you have
delivered the message, there is no way of accurately predicting it.

--
Julian Field