when is Bayes scoring used?

Desai, Jason jase at SENSIS.COM
Tue May 6 16:38:23 IST 2003

I think you need 200 spam and 200 ham.  Try running spamassassin with the -D
switch for debug and see what it says about bayes.  Also, you can run the
check_bayes_db command and see how many spam and ham have been learned.  And
you can run "sa-learn -D --rebuild" and see if it says anything about there
not being enough spam or ham.  These may give you some clues to your
questions.

Jason

-----Original Message-----
From: Dene Ulmschneider [mailto:dene at DATATECHIE.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 10:53 AM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [MAILSCANNER] when is Bayes scoring used?

Hey Julian et all-

In regards to all of the messages I have read that Bayes will not start
working until the magic number of 200 messages is reached, I am certain that
I have processed more than 200 messages and yet I still see no "Bayes"
entries in the headers.

I have checked the files in /root/.spamassassin and found the following:

filename                size            date modified
auto-whitelist          644.0 kb        today
auto-whitelist.db       12.0 kb         3.28.03
bayes_msgcount  3.2 kb          today
bayes_seen              1.3 mb          today
bayes_seen.db           4.0 kb          3.28.03
bayes_toks              2.6 mb          today
bayes_toks.db           12.0 kb         3.28.03

while I was checking these files - I saw that a new file was created and
then deleted called auto-whitelist.lock, due to the fact that the system
starting processing mails at this time.

The questions that I have are:
1-according to previous statements about the size of bayes_msgcount, have I
only correctly processed 3 or 4 emails?
2-why are all of the .db files form a month and a half ago?
3-why are there still no headers containing anything regarding Bayes?

Am I missing something. I have had MailScanner running for about 2 months
now and am certain that I have processed enough emails.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank You

Dene Ulmschneider
Data Techie Inc.
office:         718.738.8859
email:          dene at datatechie.com
pager mail:     denenow at datatechie.com
website:         www.datatechie.com <http://www.datatechie.com/>
"Life is too short...-...you  should have dessert first"