Mailscanner / Spamassassin working, but not adding headers

Kevin Hanser Kevin at MICA.NET
Fri May 2 19:51:45 IST 2003

I think I just found the problem!  It looks like the customer's firewall
was proxying the smtp, and stripping off these "unknown" headers :)  So,
I re-configged the firewall..

Thx

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Spicer [mailto:kevins at BMRB.CO.UK]
Sent: Friday, May 02, 2003 13:39
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: Mailscanner / Spamassassin working, but not adding headers

.... , the subject line of the message was being changed (to include
{Spam?}), indicating that it was going thru MS... Just the headers
aren't being added.  Really strange...  However, since the client
decided they wanted to quarantine rather than deliver, it isn't
affecting the operation of their spam filtering... It's just a weird
problem now that I'm curious about :)

I'm probably completely off-base here but I just thought I'd throw in
this experience of mine on the off-chance it might be relevant.

I use either Outlook or Evolution to connect to our exchange (2000)
server (depending on whether I'm on my Windows or Linux box).  I got
very worried one day when I noticed from within Evolution that my mail
wasn't getting any headers added by MailScanner.  Checking the same
messages on my Windows box using Outlook the headers were there!  It
turned out that when Exchange is acting as an IMAP server it rewrites
the mail it supplies to IMAP clients.  Unfortunately there doesn't seem
to be a way to prevent this (doubly annoying because it thwarted my
attempt to use public folders to feed messages back to SpamAssassin).

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000
This message (and any attachment) is intended only for the recipient and
may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  If you have
received this in error, please contact the sender and delete this
message immediately.  Disclosure, copying or other action taken in
respect of this email or in reliance on it is prohibited.  BMRB
International Limited accepts no liability in relation to any personal
emails, or content of any email which does not directly relate to our
business.