Mailscanner / Spamassassin working, but not adding headers

Kevin Spicer kevins at BMRB.CO.UK
Fri May 2 18:38:45 IST 2003

.... , the subject line of the message was being changed (to include
{Spam?}), indicating that it was going thru MS... Just the headers
aren't being added.  Really strange...  However, since the client
decided they wanted to quarantine rather than deliver, it isn't
affecting the operation of their spam filtering... It's just a weird
problem now that I'm curious about :)

I'm probably completely off-base here but I just thought I'd throw in
this experience of mine on the off-chance it might be relevant.

I use either Outlook or Evolution to connect to our exchange (2000)
server (depending on whether I'm on my Windows or Linux box).  I got
very worried one day when I noticed from within Evolution that my mail
wasn't getting any headers added by MailScanner.  Checking the same
messages on my Windows box using Outlook the headers were there!  It
turned out that when Exchange is acting as an IMAP server it rewrites
the mail it supplies to IMAP clients.  Unfortunately there doesn't seem
to be a way to prevent this (doubly annoying because it thwarted my
attempt to use public folders to feed messages back to SpamAssassin).

BMRB International
+44 (0)20 8566 5000
This message (and any attachment) is intended only for the
recipient and may contain confidential and/or privileged
material.  If you have received this in error, please contact the
sender and delete this message immediately.  Disclosure, copying
or other action taken in respect of this email or in
reliance on it is prohibited.  BMRB International Limited
accepts no liability in relation to any personal emails, or
content of any email which does not directly relate to our

More information about the MailScanner mailing list