f-prot autoupdate

Kevin Spicer kevins at BMRB.CO.UK
Fri May 2 18:29:47 IST 2003

You could always use something like fmirror to mirror the update files
onto your machine & then get the update script to pick them up from
there.

On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 18:03, Brad White wrote:

It gets stuck connecting to the ftp site.  If I try by hand I connect,
but it sometimes takes hours(I'm not kidding) to get the login prompt.
Are there any US based f-prot mirror servers?  I have the same problem
if I go to f-prot's web site and try to download definition files from
there.

Brad

-----Original Message-----
From: Julian Field [mailto:mailscanner at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK]
Sent: Friday, May 02, 2003 9:55 AM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: f-prot autoupdate

At 17:26 02/05/2003, you wrote:

>Ive noticed a problem with the f-prot autoupdate script.  For some
reason
>this script often takes forever to download the updates.  I must have
poor
>connectivity to the f-prot servers.  When the autoupdate script is
fired
>off and waiting, and waiting, and waiting&MailScanner stops processing
>mail.  Mail just piles up in /var/spool/mqueue.in.  As soon as I kill
the
>autoupdate script mail starts being processed again.

To start with, it contacts http://updates.f-prot.com.
If that fails or times out, it drops back to trying
ftp://ftp.f-prot.com/pub/.

Try contacting them by hand and see what happens.

You can always scatter "print" statements throughout the important bits
of
the script to see exactly where it gets stuck.
--
Julian Field

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk