confirming SPAM

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Mar 29 20:54:43 GMT 2003

At 20:14 29/03/2003, you wrote:
>I did not have DB_File installed. I installed it form CPAN and the install
>went smoothly. All other components seem to be installed. I then deleted
>the files you mentioned and they were recreated automatically. At this
>point I believe that Bayes is working - but is there a way to verify that
>it is learning? I see the "bayes_msgcount" file but it does not appear to
>be growing over time. The file is 2.5Kb and contains only a long line of
>DOTS (or periods). How can I verify that Bayes is working correctly?

The number of messages processed by bayes is given by the length of the
file. Its contents are irrelevant, it's the length that matters. It won't
start using bayes until it has at least 200 spam and 200 non-spam in its
database. It will only add to its database messages that are *definitely*
not spam or *definitely* spam (it has some large score threshold values to
define this).
--
Julian Field