Spamassassin conf files and MailScanner?

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at COLBY.EDU
Tue Mar 25 20:44:35 GMT 2003

Julian,

   I upgraded to SA 2.52 today, for MS 4.13-3.  Everything seems
fine but I have questions and ye olde faqomatic didn't have any
answers.  I wonder:

Q. Which config files does SpamAssassin use when installed with
   MailScanner?  Where should I put my own SA configurations?

On my system, there is:

* /opt/MailScanner/etc/spam.assassin.prefs.conf  (your file)

* the /.spamassassin directory in root, which SA recreates if it
  is removed, and contains .pag and .dir files.  For 2.52 there
  is also bayes_msgcount as well as the DB files.  If I have a
  user_prefs file in this directory, is it used?  Should I put
  changes there?

* /etc/mail/spamassassin directory, where I found a local.cf file
  that I put there at one time.

Q. How can I tell that the Bayes learning stuff is working right
   for SA 2.5x?

Q. My /.spamassassin directory has a huge 70 MB auto-whitelist.pag
file in it that grows over time.  Is this a bad thing (assuming it
doesn't fill up my root partition)?    Does it get zeroed out by
MS occasionally, like at reboot or the four hour restart interval?
Should I zero it out by hand?

Jeff A. Earickson, Ph.D
Senior UNIX Sysadmin and Email Guru
Information Technology Services