SpamAssassin caused error messages

Gerry Doris gerry at dorfam.ca
Mon Mar 24 20:10:43 GMT 2003

I continue to get the error

"timeout waiting for input from local during Draining Input"

appearing in my log when using spamassassin.  It generally occurs during
heavy system loads.  It is described on the sendmail website and occurs
when "e-mail is delivered to a program which generates too much output".

Experimenting with spamassassin I've found that turning off spamassassin
calls by MS and calling spamassassin in procmail will eliminate the
problem.  However, using spamc instead of spamassassin in procmail will
also cause the error messages to appear.  This appears to be consistent
with direct calls from MS.

I've mentioned this behaviour on the SpamAssassin mailing list but been
told that no one else is seeing the problem.

In any case, I just wanted to mention it here in case others might be
experiencing the problem.  BTW, it isn't unique to 2.50 or 2.51.  I was
seeing these errors back on 2.43.

Gerry