Attachment size

S Mohan smohan at VSNL.COM
Fri Mar 21 05:02:38 GMT 2003

Default maximum size in sendmail per mail is 2MB. A declarative exists
in sendmail.cf for Maxmessagesize. AFAIK, this restriction is applied
only if either the recepient or sender are non-local. If sender and
recepient are users on the same system, this does not apply.

Mohan

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Howard Robinson
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2003 6:23 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Attachment size

Dear list members.
All our mail goes to the mailscanner box and then after scanning is
forwarded back to the relevant Novell server internally or to the
outside world. Internally we have set Mercury on the novell server to
15mb. I know that some sites restrict incoming email attachment or 1 or
2 mb so large emails are rejected. However we have had complaints from
some sites that large attachments, but below their limits, are not
getting out to them nor can they send them to us. Internally we don't
have a problem - I've just sent my self a 10mb attachment to check. Is
there a setting in mailscanner or send mail that limits the size of an
attachment. Does it/can it differentiate between on site and off site
mail?

Regards

Howard Robinson
(Senior Technical Development Officer)
Harper Adams University College
Edgmond
Newport
Shropshire
TF10 8NB UK

E-mail: hrobinson at harper-adams.ac.uk
Tel.  : +44(0)1952 820280 Via switchboard
      : +44(0)1952 815253 Direct line
Fax.  : +44(0)1952 814783
College Web site http://www.harper-adams.ac.uk