Corrupt pgp-signed messages

Spicer, Kevin Kevin.Spicer at BMRB.CO.UK
Sat Mar 15 17:16:31 GMT 2003

> Evolution...
> Multi part MIME message (content type: multipart/signed)
> First section (text/plain) contains the message itself
> (without the PGP signature) with the MailScanner signature appended.
> Second section (application/pgp-signature) contains the PGP signature.
> In this case the mailscanner signature breaks the PGP signature.

Hmmm, replying to myself - first sign of madness!
Looks like this is specified in RFC1847 http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1847.html  On a first scan the important paragraphs seem to be these...

        The entire contents of the multipart/signed container must be treated
   as opaque while it is in transit from an originator to a recipient.
   Intermediate message transfer agents must not alter the content of a
   multipart/signed in any way, including, but not limited to, changing
   the content transfer encoding of the body part or any of its
   encapsulated body parts.

   The signature in a multipart/signed only applies to the material that
   is actually within the multipart/signed object.  In particular, it
   does not apply to any enclosing message material, nor does it apply
   to entities that are referenced (e.g. via a MIME message/external-
   body) by rather than included in the signed content.

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000
business.