Beta test please

Jeremy Evans JeremyE at BSA.CA.GOV
Thu Mar 13 22:19:10 GMT 2003

After running the upgrade_MailScanner_conf program I noticed that the
Archive Mail setting was removed, and the Information Header section was
added a second time.  Here are the diffs between the new version (created by
upgrade_MailScanner_conf) and the old MailScanner.conf:

426a427,434
> Information Header = X-MailScanner-Information:
>
> # Add this extra header to all mail as it is processed.
> # The contents is set by "Information Header Value" and is intended for
> # you to be able to insert a help URL for your users.
> # If you don't want an information header at all, just comment out this
> # setting or set it to be blank.
> # This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
599,612d606
<
< #
< # Mail Archiving and Monitoring
< # -----------------------------
< #
<
< # Space-separated list of email address and directory names where you want
< # a copy of all mail to be forwarded or stored.
< #
< # If you give this option a ruleset, you can control exactly whose mail
< # is archived or forwarded. If you do this, beware of the legal
implications
< # as this could be deemed to be illegal interception unless the police
have
< # asked you to do this.
< Archive Mail = /opt/MailScanner/etc/rules/archive.rules

Here are the relevant parts of the diffs between the new file created by
upgrade_MailScanner_conf and the 4.14-3 default MailScanner.conf:

427a429,436
> # Add this extra header to all mail as it is processed.
> # The contents is set by "Information Header Value" and is intended for
> # you to be able to insert a help URL for your users.
> # If you don't want an information header at all, just comment out this
> # setting or set it to be blank.
> # This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
> #Information Header = X-MailScanner-Information:

600,613d608
< # Mail Archiving and Monitoring
< # -----------------------------
< #
<
< # Space-separated list of email address and directory names where you want
< # a copy of all mail to be forwarded or stored.
< #
< # If you give this option a ruleset, you can control exactly whose mail
< # is archived or forwarded. If you do this, beware of the legal
implications
< # as this could be deemed to be illegal interception unless the police
have
< # asked you to do this.
< #Archive Mail = /var/spool/MailScanner/archive
<
< #

Here is the output from upgrade_MailScanner_conf:

Added new: Information Header = X-MailScanner-Information:
Removed old: Archive Mail = /opt/MailScanner/etc/rules/archive.rules

Summary
-------
Read 125 settings from old /opt/MailScanner/etc/MailScanner.conf
Used 124 settings from old /opt/MailScanner/etc/MailScanner.conf
Used 1 default settings from new ./MailScanner.conf2

Notes
-----
I would advise you to check on any parameters which are different between
the default new conf file and the conf file you just created, so that you
find any parameters whose default values have changed.
If you ran this with a command like this
  upgrade_MailScanner_conf MailScanner.conf MailScanner.conf.rpmnew >
MailScanner.conf.new
then you should do
  diff MailScanner.conf.rpmnew MailScanner.conf.new
and check for any differences in values you have not changed yourself.

Once you have checked that MailScanner.new contains what
you want, you can then save your old one and move the new
one into place, using commands like these:
  mv -f MailScanner.conf MailScanner.old
  mv -f MailScanner.new  MailScanner.conf

Did I make a mistake somewhere, or is there something wrong with the script?
It's obviously pretty trivial to fix the problems manually, but it'd be nice
to know if I made a mistake or if there is an error in the script.  Thanks.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Evans
Information Systems Analyst
California State Auditor