sophos 3.66 to 3.67, load jumps?

Spicer, Kevin Kevin.Spicer at BMRB.CO.UK
Tue Mar 11 16:27:34 GMT 2003

> On Tuesday 11 March 2003 4:08 pm, Jeff A. Earickson wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I upgraded from sophos 3.66 to 3.67 yesterday and since then, I've
> > noticed that my load on my mail server has been much higher than
> > before.  Anybody else notice this?  I've dropped the Max Children
> > setting from 4 to 2 on my system (Sun E220R, 2 CPUs, Sol 8) and that
> > reduced the load.  I wonder what changed in Sophos to make such a
> > difference?
>       I think it is to do with the way in which sophos now
> packages its virus
> definition files - the scan time for one message has gone
> from 1 second to
> seven seconds on my (very small) mail hub.

Yeah 3.67 is not good at all, my MailScanner's running 3.66 still - but I've got several machines using samba-vscan that used to quite happily read the virus defs from an NFS share.  When I upgraded them to 3.66 it nearly killed one of the machines (load average went up to high 30's  before I got to it and killed samba.  I've had to go back to installing and updating each machine seperately (not using NFS) and the performance is still noticably poorer.

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000
business.