HELP - Viruses are not detected

InvictaNet Customer Support support at INVICTANET.CO.UK
Sat Mar 8 21:56:16 GMT 2003

Julian wrote:

> By default these files are in /opt/MailScanner, not
> /usr/local/MailScanner. If you are really using
> /usr/local/MailScanner/etc for these, where have you put the -wrapper
> scripts? Does the location of your -wrapper scripts match with the
> contents of you virus.scanners.conf file? If you are using a mixture
> of /opt and /usr/local, that could cause you all sorts of problems
> with settings not matching up with the right locations.
>
> It looks like you have got the 2 directories confused a bit.

It possibly won't help Jan-Peter, but I also have a mixed configuration.
On my MailScanner server, I am running FreeBSD 4.7, Sophos, F-Prot, Sendmail
8.12.8 and MailScanner 4.13-3
I upgraded Sendmail because of the Security Alert. This, combined with the
Sophos change seemed to break my MailScanner 3.x so I decided to go the
whole way and move to MailScanner 4.

Because of different paths in the source package and on my server etc. I
have now ended up with:
MailScanner is actually installed in /usr/local/MailScanner-4.13-3
/opt is linked to /usr/local
mailscanner and MailScanner are linked to MailScanner-4.13-3

So far, everything seems to be working fine. I do wonder though if I am
heading for a fall - advice would be appreciated from anyone who might have
considered this method.

Martyn Routley
InvictaNet - The Internet in Plain English, Guaranteed
http://www.invictanet.co.uk
martyn at support.invictanet.co.uk
phone: 08707 440180
fax: 08707 440181
Ask us about our online Antivirus and Junk mail scanning service