HELP - Viruses are not detected

Jan-Peter Koopmann Jan-Peter.Koopmann at SECEIDOS.DE
Sat Mar 8 18:47:05 GMT 2003

Hi Julian,

> By default these files are in /opt/MailScanner, not
> /usr/local/MailScanner.

I know.

> If you are really using
> /usr/local/MailScanner/etc for these, where have you put the
> -wrapper scripts?

In /usr/local/MailScanner/lib

> Does the location of your -wrapper scripts
> match with the contents of you virus.scanners.conf file?

It does I checked.

> If
> you are using a mixture of /opt and /usr/local, that could
> cause you all sorts of problems with settings not matching up
> with the right locations.

I checked all locations and am running this config for months now. No
problems so far.

I put some trace statements into the mcafee-wrapper script and I am
positive that it is being called:

--recursive --ignore-links --analyze --mime --secure --noboot .
PWD:/usr/local/MailScanner-4.13.3/lib
$0:/usr/local/MailScanner/lib/mcafee-wrapper
$1:--recursive
$2:--ignore-links
$3:--analyze
$4:--mime
$5:--secure
$7:.

Should PWD not be something like /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming or so?

Moreover, if I change the name of that wrapper script, MailScanner gives
me an error. And: Even if there were a config error with /usr/local and
/opt, should the filename rules not be obeyes? They are not.

> It looks like you have got the 2 directories confused a bit.

Don't think so but in case I just linked /usr/local/MailScanner to
/opt/MailScanner. Still no change.

> In the conf file you mailed me, you hadn't set the "Run as
> user" or "run as group" options, which are normally used for
> Exim setups.

Just changed that as well. No change.

Sure this is no bug?

Thanks for the quick help over the weekend. I appreciate this a lot.

Regards,
  JP