sendmail changing messages after MailScanner finishes...

John Goggan jgoggan at DCG.COM
Fri Mar 7 02:45:33 GMT 2003

I've just upgraded from sendmail v8.11 to 8.12.8.  Note that there are some
significant changes to sendmail between those versions -- the now recommend
running them as two instances -- one for just queuing the mail -- and one for
processing it after.  Interestingly, this is the way that MailScanner has been
integrated with my system for a long time now.  So, I have one queue-only
sendmail that puts all of the incoming messages in /var/spool/mqueue.in.
MailScanner sees those, scans them, and puts them in /var/spool/mqueue.  In
the past, the second sendmail process always took care of them -- passing them
along to be delivered locally.

With 8.12.8 -- the second sendmail instead changes all of the "qf..." files
that MailScanner puts there into "Qf..." files!  It seems to want to believe
that they are incomplete or something?  I don't know why.

If I manually copy them from mqueue.in to mqueue before MailScanner has a
second to grab them, they get delivered fine.  But if MailScanner puts them
into mqueue -- sendmail changes them to "Qf..." and they never get delivered
(they just stay there forever).

I appear to be running MailScanner 3.22.  (I know I need to upgrade -- I just
haven't had time.  Maybe this is a sign that I should just upgrade, eh?  If no
one can think of anything, I'll try to find time to do that...)

Any ideas?  Thanks!

 - John...