Messages w/o text not being marked clean.

Chris Selivanow cselivanow at QWICNET.COM
Wed Mar 5 19:52:23 GMT 2003

Julian-

Thanks for the responce.  I had previously posted a question regarding Outlook
and attachments.  I think that I have solved my  issue with that and it seems
to be related to this issue and how mailscanner handles uuencoded messages.

Here is the situation:  I have a client where some people are using outlook 97
and some people are using Eudora 5.  Before the mailscanner (3.27)install there
were no problems.  After the mailscanner install those who were using Eudora
were having issues with attachments sent via outlook.  Basically the multipart
message content was all being displayed in the message body.

The reason follows:

Mailscanner converts a uuencoded message, which only has one part ie: lacking
a "Content-type" header, and converts it into a base64 encoded multipart
message.  This is all fine and well.  However, mailscanner also adds the text:

The following is a multipart MIME message which was extracted
from a uuencoded message.

Mailscanner does not however add a boundery line like:

     ------------=_1046891750-551-2

before the previous message.  This causes Eudora to believe one of two things
(as far a I can tell)

1)  That the message really isn't a multipart message
2)  That it has another part that is missing (ie: the attachment)

I'm not really sure of the innerworkings of mailscanner but this seems to
be what happens.  Is there a way to resolve this?  Besides having my
client tell their senders to reconfigure thier outlook?

-Chris

--
Chris Selivanow             585 582-1600
Lead Technician             585 624-3465 (fax)