The reason why I asked was-->(Re: RFC: calculating scan times for messages.)

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Mar 5 17:26:06 GMT 2003

At 17:14 05/03/2003, you wrote:

><snip>
> >Running MailScanner, Sophos, SpamAssassin (2.44 or 2.50, it doesn't
>matter much) and 3 RBL's, the MailScanner can do about 1.5 million
> >messages per day. Just running MailScanner and SpamAssassin, it can
>handle 4.4 million per day.
>>
>>In case you are interested, I have attached a little zip file
>>containing the emisor test "harness"(and the shell script that runs
>>them in parallel) and the smtp sink. <SpeedTests.zip>--
>
>Thank you very much. It is no real secret, but I am looking at a
>project for one of the major Backbone providers. They hired me to have
>a look at their intermediate Mail relays, they were interested in a
>solution which is open source, as a proof of concept. Now with their
>system we are looking at 26-40 Million messages a day! That is why I
>was going to look at precise averaging, but thinking about all of it
>for the latter of the day, I can only agree. My approach would not be
>measuring anything useful.
>
>Now what they are granting me as hardware is either a Sun Fire
>4500-8-Processor (with 8-12 Processors) and 8-16 Gig RAM. Or a solution
>based on multiple Intel Xeon Quad Processor Machines.

Personally I would go for the Xeon cluster, as it is more easily scalable
later on, as their mail load grows. Also, if half of it goes up in smoke
(or needs upgrading/maintaining) you still have a working service, albeit a
slightly slower one. I know you can dynamically reconfigure the bigger
SunFires, but a cluster does have its appeal...

Unfortunately no-one has bought me a quad Xeon machine to test MailScanner
on, so I can't give you accurate performance figures. But with dual 2.4GHz
Xeon machines, 40 million messages per day would keep 30 of them fairly
well occupied. You have to remember, of course, that my load tests are done
with a steady stream of mail, and not a peaky load that you would see in
real life.

As for Exim vs sendmail, I found Exim to lot easier to get to scale up to
multi-million figures. And configuring it to punt all mail at 1 other
machine is dead easy. I'm no Exim expert, not by a long way.

If you need any help whatsoever with this project, please don't hesitate to
get in touch. I will offer whatever help and advice I can.

--
Julian Field