flooded by spam

Steve Thomas lists at STHOMAS.NET
Tue Mar 4 19:46:09 GMT 2003

| We're using sendmail sendmail-8.11.6-23.73 (on Red Hat 7.3) with LDAP
| and it works very well.

The documentation I found on sendmail's LDAP support didn't seem very good.
Maybe I just hadn't had enough coffee that day (or too much), but it was
confusing as all get out. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it also looked like
in order to use what LDAP functionality sendmail provided, you had to
include sendmail-specific schema. Exim gives you a lot more flexibility than
that, and was much easier to understand and configure.

| If you are running on Linux, you could make quite easily (with iptables
| or ipchains) your secondary MX accept incoming mail only from your
| primary MX, thus forcing everyone to talk directly with your border
| systems.

I could, but that would defeat the purpose of having multiple MXs. We also
need to provide remote users with SMTP AUTH, which is only done via the
primary mail server (2nd MX), so port 25 has to be open to the world.

St-